Opening My Mission Call

Opening My Mission Call
August 16, 2010

Friday, July 29, 2011

July 18th - Ch-ch-changes!

Wow, so much has changed from the email I received!! What ward do I go to when I get back home??? I feel so... I don't even know. That's one of the great things of the mission though, I don't really have to worry about it until 2012 in December. I can't believe everything is getting moved around. Well, things are changing around here too in Puertollano!!!

First change: Time to update our piso!! Our piso was only lived in by the Elders since February so there were not that many "things" in the piso. Elder Hatch and I have been cooking a lot lately, and we have only had one spatula and one pan, so of course last Preparation Day we went and bought a bunch of new pans and pots and silverware. Now, we actually feel like an apartment. It's been great. The kitchen is a kitchen now. So of course, we need to make a nice home cooked meal as the first thing in our new kitchen. We baked a delicious lasagna!! It was a great team effort used with fresh Spanish ingredients. It turned out amazing! Who knew we were so talented in the kitchen??

Second change: What to do during our free time. Well, about a month ago Elder Hatch and I did a musical number for the branch and they just loved it. The branch is really blessed with musical talent, and I won't say I am really good, but it was nice to use some of our talents to bring the Spirit. Elder Hatch played on his recorder and I played the piano. Well, to get ready for the next musical number, Elder Hatch bought a new recorder, one that can play lower. Technically, I believe they call it a "Alto" Recorder haha. He gave me his Soprano Recorder and we have been practicing for our next musical number for the branch. It should be pretty good.

Well, I don't know if this next part really consist of changes, but....

We decided as a district, after district meeting we would all go out and eat at this Chinese Buffet. Wow! It was really good. I was surprised that it was some of the best Chinese food I have ever had. I don't know though... that might be because I haven't had Chinese food in over 7 months. We had an amazing district meeting that day. We talked about being consecrated missionaries, and one of the other missionaries of the district, Elder Bradley, actually took the time to make each of us "Tender Mercies" journals. Each of them are personalized, with each of our names in the front and they all have the story of the 10 lepers in the front and 1 Nephi 1:20 quoted. The purpose is for each of us to write in the blessings and tender mercies we see each day. It was a great idea.

One of the first things I wrote in my journal was the cool Russian coasters I received from one of our Russian members. We went to her house to teach her, and she had a bunch of fresh squeezed orange juice and food waiting for us. After the lesson she allowed us to take with us one of her table coasters, and each of them had a picture of a unique place in Moscow. I took the one with the picture of the Kremlin. What an awesome gift!!

Our investigators have been doing good as of late. We have met a lot of new people, and some of our "progressing" investigators, to be honest, have been a bit disappointing. For example, we had a baptismal fecha this Saturday the 23rd but the lady won't be able to get baptized since she didn't come to church yesterday. Things like that are a bit frustrating. We got contacted on the street a few days ago by a lady who said, "Hey, I have talked to you guys in the past. The old elders always had a brownie recipe with them. Can you bring me one?" So we jumped on that opportunity and totally got a recipe and went to their house to teach them. As of now they are progressing pretty well. We also have been teaching this African man named Presley. He is actually very smart and knows a lot about the Bible. The only thing is that he thinks that there is no need on the Earth today for prophets, so we will work with him.

Well, I think when I get back to the piso I am going to take a nice nap considering that the past two days, the city of Puertollano has decided to throw free concerts that start at 11pm, and don't end til 3am. I know this because I have been up..... until..... 3am.... because the concerts are two blocks away from our piso. So I am dead tired right now. Thanks everyone for the support though. I will continue to cherish all the mail I receive!! Stay in touch!

Love
Elder Card

PS The pictures are 1) The lasagna we made 2) Well.... Apple Juice is super cheap here, like 50 cents a liter, so I buy about 8 or 9 liters a week. That is a picture of how much I have drank in two weeks. 3) I got a haircut! (Pictures to be posted later)

No comments:

Post a Comment